Code of Conduct
Post Graduate Residents
College of Dentistry
Lahore Medical & Dental College
Code of Conduct for Post Graduate Residents were thoroughly discussed in Dental Academic Council Meeting and were submitted to Principal/ Dean, Dental College, LMDC for approval.
(PROF. DR. AQIB SOHAIL)
COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY, LM&DC
CODE OF CONDUCT AND BEHAVIOR
College of Dentistry expects that all Post Graduate Trainees adhere to the high standards of behavior during all Academics/ professional and patient care activities. They must uphold the standards of the medical / Academics profession. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Postgraduate Trainees (PGTs) shall act in a manner that maximizes substantial benefits to public and profession.
- PGTs shall maintain academic integrity.
- PGTs shall accept responsibility for their own behavior.
- PGTs should not act in any manner that constitutes or appears to constitute contempt of the college.
- PGTs should not behave, whether within or outside the college, in any manner which is detrimental to the interest, well-being and good name of the staff, officers, and employees of the college and in general of the college.
- PGTs shall respect the rights and property of others.
- PGTs shall refrain from interfering with learning and teaching activities.
- PGTs shall follow established college, clinics and classroom rules.
- PGTs shall avoid eating, drinking, and chewing gum while classes are in session and in clinical settings.
- PGTs, externs, interns, residents or fellows shall switch their cell phones off in clinical settings and lectures.
- PGTs should avoid disturbing any teaching, study, research, administrative work, fellow PGTs and employees in the college.
- PGTs should comply with the college’s rules, regulations, orders and procedures, whether within or outside the college.
- PGTs shall have their PGTs ID cards with themselves at all times and wear white coat in campus. Failure to surrender ID card upon the request of college officials may lead to prevention from entering the college premises or using college facilities.
- PGTs should not act in any manner that constitutes or appears to constitute a threat or intimidation or is injurious, physically or mentally, to the well-being and safety of any other PGTs or any staff member of the college.
- Inappropriate and misuse of social media is prohibited. Placing objectionable post on social media related to college campus, administration, faculty, staff or other PGTs is a disciplinary offense.
- Participation in or conducting an unauthorized gathering or any assembly that objectively threatens or causes injury to person or property or that interferes with free access to the college premises including hostels, or any such gathering that is unprotected and objectively harmful, obstructive, or disruptive to the educational process or functions of the college is strongly prohibited.
- Smoking within the college premises and its affiliated hostels is forbidden.
- No PGTs should provide or offer or propose to give any liquor, intoxicating substances, addictive energizing drugs, alcoholic beverages, and addictive, narcotic, depressant, or hallucinogenic drugs or substances as amphetamines, chars, bhang or any of that kind.
- Any PGTs who is found to be in a state of intoxication or under the influence of any dangerous drugs or poison shall be guilty of a disciplinary offense.
- No PGTs should consume orally or smoke, inhale, or introduce into his/her body by injection, or in any other manner whatsoever, any dangerous drugs or poison.
- The college may require a PGTs suspected to be a drug dependent to submit himself/herself for urine test. If a PGTs refuses to submit himself/herself to this test, he/she commits a disciplinary offense.
- No PGTs should, within the campus and hostels, have in his/her possession any article, which is considered as obscene or pornographic.
- The distribution, circulation or exhibitions of any obscene article within the college is considered illegal.
- PGTs shall refrain from carrying, bringing, using, or possessing any weapon or weapon facsimile, or using anything else as a weapon, in campus.
- PGTs should not do anything that may be prejudicial to the cleanliness and neatness of the campus and PGTs’ living accommodation within the college.
- Dispersing litter in any form onto the grounds of campus or facilities including hostel areas is unacceptable.
- A PGTs shall not make any sound or noise, or cause any sound or noise to be produced, by any means or in any manner, where such noise or sound causes or is likely to cause annoyance or disturbance to any person within the campus or in clinical settings.
- The college may require a PGTs suspected to have mental disorder to submit himself/herself for medical examination by a qualified and approved medical practitioner.
- PGTs shall maintain Professional relationship between opposite sexes which is considered an essential components of the college’s identity and accordingly should be clearly defined.
- Male and female PGTs should at all times practice the principle of modesty, respectable interaction and proper decorum in public places, during meetings, sporting and cultural activities, gatherings or when dealing with patients in clinical settings.
- Any PGTs who is inappropriately attired will be banned altogether from entering all academic and administration buildings and shall be guilty of a disciplinary offense.
- All PGTs shall show respect for all cultural backgrounds through developing cultural competence and acknowledgment of diversity across the college.
- Close proximity between opposite genders or of the same gender in a way which may raise suspicions as to the real motive of the acts and/or all kinds of deviant behaviors are not allowed. “Suspicious situations” (Can include but not limited to kissing, hugging, holding hands, caressing any part of the partner’s body, sitting in close proximity to each other in isolation from other people) and “deviant activities” (here include all, but not limited to sexual activities with or without the consent of the involved parties.)
- No person is permitted to, within the campus; engage in any kind of sexual conduct with any members of the college or visitors to the college/clinics which may also include other serious or persistent unwanted sexual contact or conduct, harassment, threats, intimidation or unwanted touching or fondling.
- Harassment, be it in physical, verbal or sexual form will be taken as a serious offence leading to disciplinary action.
- If at any time during enrolment on a course of study of the college a PGTs is arrested by the police and charged with a criminal offense, the PGTs is required to report this immediately to the college. If he/she is sent to trial, the college must also be kept informed at all stages either by the PGTs or by their legal representative. If the PGTs is convicted then this must also be reported along with details of any sentence imposed.
- Aiding, abetting, bulling, ragging or procuring another person to do an activity which otherwise violates this Code of Conduct is prohibited. Being present during planning or commission of any offense will be considered aiding and abetting. Thus, PGTs who anticipate or observe an offense should remove themselves from the situation and shall report the offense.
- When it appears to Disciplinary Authority that a PGTs has committed a disciplinary offense, the Disciplinary Authority shall proceed with further investigations which will be reported to The Principal sb and Administration.
- The above mentioned codes are meant to reinforce the importance and help the PGTs to live up and uphold the high level of Islamic Ethics, Morals and decent Social behavior.
- The college may from time to time make new rules and regulations or make amendments to the existing rules and regulations. In an effort to keep PGTs, parents/guardians, staff, and others apprised to the maximum extent practicable, the latest version of each such policy and regulation will be published on the college website. Updated regulations should be regarded as the final authority.
Code of Ethics/Responsibilities of Trainee
Trainees are informed about the Training program (CPSP/LMDC Manual) and rights and obligations of trainees in the “Job Description” documents which is shard at the time of joining.
Statement of Code of Ethics
- I will not make misleading claims for our services or criticize our competitors before Patients. We only believe in servicing our Patients’ needs to the best of our efforts.
- I will perform my duty/ work according to the specified quality standards.
- I will avoid conflicts of interest either of a financial or
Personal nature, these could compromise the objectivity and integrity of our work.
- I will exercise professional judgment impartially while taking any decisions related to work, keeping all pertinent facts, relevant experience and the advice of our management in mind.
- I will hold the affairs of our patients in the strictest confidence. I will not disclose propriety information obtained in the course of work or derive benefit from using information outside the hospital.
- I will act with courtesy and consideration towards all with whom we come into contact in the course of our professional work.
- I will not accept any favors, gifts or inducements, including undue hospitality and entertainment, from the patients, students and their families. The only expectations would be if the gifts are of promotional nature (diaries, calendars, etc.) or of a nominal value, the indulgence of which would not damage the institution’s reputation.
- I am fully committed to the principle of equality and nondiscrimination on the grounds of disability, sex, age, race, color, ethnicity, origin or marital status. I will not indulge in any intimidation and harassment of any sort at work.
- I will communicate with my patients and its representative in an effective and timely manner.
I hereby acknowledge that I have received my copy of code of conduct and my responsibilities as a trainee and I have clarified myself.
For office use only
Handed over by:_____________________________
PROF. DR. AQIB SOHAIL
COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY, LMDC